Saturday, October 11, 2008

One in a Million



It is the way wrong time of night to be posting on my blog, but for whatever reason, I am up thinking about my sister, Paige. It was this time of the year, 4 years ago - We were decorating for Brandon and Jessica's wedding reception and I got my daily call from Paige, only it wasn't my daily call from Paige - a lump had been found in her breast. Of course it was going to be nothing, the odds were on her side. She was only 28, but they had to do a biopsy and take the proper precautions to be safe.
On October 15, 2004, I was still at work when I got my daily phone call from Paige - I knew it was going to be the relief we had been looking for. She was supposed to get her results from her biopsy that day. I remember answering the phone with a very optimistic "Heeeey!" when I got her call - but it was not the relief we had been expecting, instead it was the beginning of a long and difficult road to recovery.



I can't remember every detail of her treatment, and I'm glad for that. I wasn't there as much as I would have liked, but I went for some of her treatments, and all the while she and James were amazingly stong. After months of chemotherapy and radiation treatments, she was cancer free... until this year. Once again, the odds were in her favor - 98% that she would continue her life cancer free, but life took another twist and her cancer returned to the bones in her back. It is not curable, but it is treatable and not terminal.

Tonight I am also thinking about our 2 sweet babies that are sleeping so peacefully, and there is nothing in the world I wouldn't do for them. I am so blessed that I get to be the mother of these perfect babies. There is also nothing in the world I wouldn't do for my sister and James to have their babies. And right now, the only thing I can do is to pray for them every day with every prayer to have their family.
They came to visit this April and I was reminded that James is going through nearly every bit that Paige is. I am indebted to him for his strength and his support to her and our family. It is not easy to have someone else be the one to be the number one for her while she goes through her trials, but if it has to be someone besides me, I'm glad it's James.


(this picture is not because they are sad - it's because they are cute and don't want to get too wet on rides~)

Every trial has a purpose and every trial is significant. I don't know what my goal is with this post at 2 AM, except to say, I am so grateful that families are forever. I love my forever family and my wonderful husband Shawn and my beautiful babies. I am grateful for the knowledge I have of our Heavenly Father's perfect plan. I have faith that everything happens for a reason and Paige and James will have their family. If you remember during your prayers, maybe throw in a little something for Paige and James. They are going through the adoption process right now and I know there is a perfect little one out there for them.

Paige is my hero - not because she has cancer, but because she is thoughtful, sweet, kind, determined and has strength beyond anything I can comprehend. How did I get so lucky that she is my big sister?

Hooray for Breast Cancer Awareness Month! Hooray for pink ribbons!

5 comments:

Wooden's said...

you are amazing, so glad that you are my friend and that I can learn from your example and life. xoxo

American Falls TaVaci said...

Wow, I had no idea! She is lucky to have you for a sister :)

Paige said...

It means so much to mean so much to someone who means so much to me...I love you. Thank you

James said...

I could not agree more, Paige truely is One in a million!

Terri said...

Hi Karmen! I had no idea either. I remember meeting your sister at your wedding and she truly is awesome. We will keep her in our prayers. I'm sure she is very brave.