Monday, April 20, 2009

Olive Kay O'Leary

Friday, April 17th, we went to the hospital to meet our newest little family member. Most of the morning was spent timing contractions and watching ESPN. We also got in a game or 2 of Boggle. A few hours later, we were into the harder part of labor. For whatever reason, my epidural didn't take except for in my legs, and since the baby didn't come out of my leg I felt way more than I expected. After much pain and a shout (scream) for my doctor to get ready, our little girl was born. It was wonderful to see her.

We spent a lot of time trying to figure out her name. A few nights earlier we went online to do a last minute brain storming session, and added a few more names to our list. We had a lot of input via texts from friends and family and even from our nurses and we finally decided on Olive Kay. I am Karmen with a K after my dad, Kirk, and Shawn's mom is Kathy with a K, so we thought the middle name Kay was fitting. Joss called her Melissa for awhile (Her good friend's mommy's name) and now she is calling her Charlee (her cousin's name). She has always liked to sing I Am A Child of God, and towards the end where it says "Teach me all that I must do, to live with Him someday" She sings it "Teach me Olive I must do, to Him someday", so I'm sure she'll end up loving her sister's name, since it is in her favorite song.

We are loving our new and improved family. Little Olive is absolutely perfect and we are loving every minute with her. Joss and Jackson are crazy about her and love to help out. Here are some of the pictures. There are sure to be more soon!

Here is the newborn picture at the hospital.



Here is Joss and Jackson's first time with their new sister.


This is the first few minutes at home where Joss got to hold her. She has been so looking forward to being able to hold her for "4 minutes". 4 minutes went by very quickly!


I almost forgot the stats. She was born at 2:19 in the afternoon. She weighed 8 pounds, 7 ounces, and was 20 inches long. She is a good listener and likes to look at the stars.

10 comments:

Kyla said...

Congrats O'Leary Family! She is adorable, and I LOVE her name! Let me know if you need anything!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and welcome baby Olive! We can't wait to meet you. Joss looks so proud...as you all should be!

Seth, Amanda, and Merryn

Alicia said...

Congratulations! Glad to hear that everything went well, and that little Olive is finally here, although you can still pop by my house when on a walk if you need to.

stovall family said...

I am so happy you have Olive ready for the world. She is soooo sweet, and Joss and Jackson are funny. I love you guys!
Paige

Julie Carroll said...

Yay for baby Olive (super cute name by the way)! She is beautiful! The picture of Joss holding her is priceless... almost as cute as the perplexed looks on both Joss and Jackson's faces in the picture of them looking at her for the first time... it is as if they are saying, "what is that thing?" I am sure that an epidural isn't nearly as enjoyable when it is just making your legs numb, what a bummer, way to do it the old fashioned way ;)

American Falls TaVaci said...

Wait--your babies don't come out of your leg?? Haha!! Wow Karmen, you are a warrior. It is no fun to feel pain when you weren't expecting to. She is just darling. Maybe one day (?????) I'll actually get to meet your kids :)

Pima 1st Ward Relief Society said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Little Family!!!! said...

Yay for pictures!!!!! I can't wait to go down and see her. I love the look on Jackson's face when he is looking at her!! Too Cute!!

Caroline said...

oh karmen, you are a triple mommy!!! do you think olive knows how awesome her family is?!?! i know she does!!! (especially her extended family:)

lambfamblog said...

I love Olive Kay! Good choice. It's always nice when a name has a significant meaning. It must have been strange to be in so much pain and not able to feel or use your legs!